The Society was formed in 1999 amongst subscribers toThe Ley Hunter, a bi-monthly magazine which had started up in 1962 along with the Ley Hunter Club. It in turn being successor to The Old Straight Track Club of 1925.
A newsletter, the Society’s journal, is published to members against a subscription covering four issues.
Generally two moots per year are organised, visiting locations of interest.
The term was originally coined by Alfred Watkins to describe an alignment or direct linear connection between several places on the terrestrial landscape. It has now been expanded to cover a multiplicity of types of relationships.